Monday, November 26, 2012

Pedestal Pushers

Yeah, I spend my days like a typical feminist. Wake up to Public Radio. Head into bathroom to pee standing up. Stub my toe and blame the patriarchy. Eat cornflakes in company of several cats in my tiny apartment. Head off to work in ponytail and sensible shoes. Feel superior to my male colleagues. Blame chauvinism when the computer crashes. Return home alone to frozen dinner. Rinse. Repeat.

Okay, not really. At the risk of giving this woman yet another chance to flog her book, I'm probably a lot like Suzanne Venker. We both spend most of our time taking care of kids, house and husband. The difference is, she thinks all you ladies should embrace this life as your biological destiny. And I think that's horsesh*t.

If I click through to a FoxNews.com article called "The War on Men," I expect a wild ride in the WayBack machine. Ms. Venker brings it.
In a nutshell, women are angry. They’re also defensive, though often unknowingly. That’s because they’ve been raised to think of men as the enemy. Armed with this new attitude, women pushed men off their pedestal (women had their own pedestal, but feminists convinced them otherwise) and climbed up to take what they were taught to believe was rightfully theirs.

Now the men have nowhere to go.

It is precisely this dynamic – women good/men bad – that has destroyed the relationship between the sexes. Yet somehow, men are still to blame when love goes awry. Heck, men have been to blame since feminists first took to the streets in the 1970s. 
Ah, the scales fall from my eyes! Before, I was unknowingly defensive. Now I see that my marital happiness rests on pedestals. And all these years I thought it was mutual respect and kindness. Suzanne, you've taught me the importance of preserving a man's sense of superiority.
Men want to love women, not compete with them. They want to provide for and protect their families – it’s in their DNA. But modern women won’t let them.
Why, it's all so simple!

Wait, I still feel kind of angry. I'm imagining someone telling my daughter that she shouldn't get a fancypants degree or a high-paying job because it will be threatening to her husband. I'm imagining her earning 74 cents for every dollar her male colleagues make. I'm thinking of someone teaching her that strength and independence are unfeminine.

NFW!!!

I guess you're right, Suzanne - I am angry. But not at men. I'm angry that women can't access emergency contraception over the counter. I'm angry that Sandra Fluke got called a slut for speaking out about birth control. I'm angry that female news anchors wear sleeveless dresses and heels when their male colleagues wear suits. And I'm angry that you and your aunt Phyllis Schlafly are still peddling this retrograde nonsense about the need for women to be subservient in marriage. ENOUGH. Did no one ever give you the Free to Be You and Me record when you were a kid? Here, have a listen.

Today's $5 is for the National Organization for Women. Because women's success does not mean men's failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment