Saturday, October 20, 2012

Yours In Scouting

Writing this blog sometimes sends me down the rabbit hole into the wacky Wonderland of the interwebs. Because I loaded and unloaded 59 cases of cookies for my daughter's Girl Scout Troop yesterday (ouch!), I googled "conservative case against girl scouts." There are some CRAZY people out there!

I'm not linking to them - it's just too stupid. I'll summarize their arguments for you.
  1. Teenagers should never be given any information on their dirty, dirty bodies. Sexuality is BAD. In a few instances, some older Scouts have been given information from Planned Parenthood which did not convey disapproval of premarital sex. Eeeeeek!!!!
  2. Girl Scouts USA (GSUSA) has been taken over by "radical feminists" who promote gay rights, Title IX, access to contraception and safe abortion, universal healthcare, and the Equal Rights Amendment. (Oh, where are my smelling salts!)
  3. Girl Scouts USA is associated with the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS), which is associated with the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF). IPPF actually provides teenagers with honest information about sex. So ... GSUSA is pro-masturbation and abortion?
  4. WAGGGS has partnered with the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) to advocate on issues such as domestic violence and reproductive health. GSUSA is friends with WAGGGS, who is friends with YWCA. Oh, where does it stop?
  5. GSUSA has Michelle Obama as its Honorary President. (As was Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan . . .) Michelle Obama is "radically pro-abortion," a condition which is transmissible through Thin Mints.
I would be totally thrilled if my daughter could earn a Reproductive Health Badge as a teenager. How awesome would that be if she could get a patch for understanding how to take care of herself as a growing woman? But I'm happy enough that my little Brownie is learning to set goals, think independently, and advocate for herself as the equal of any boy. Which is, at bottom, the real case against Girl Scouts.

All the bullshit opposition boils down to one thing: if you actually acknowledge girls' ability and rights to make their own choices, well, they just might do it. And then, where would we be?!?! I can't wait to find out. Today's $5 is for the Girl Scouts. Thanks for believing in my kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment